11 February 2012

Q&A: Sak Yant from Ajarn Thoy

I received several similar emails/posts concerning Sak Yant by Ajarn Thoy and just wanted to answer some of them here for future readers.

First go here for the first part of this post:
http://on-baoy.blogspot.com/2010/06/getting-sak-yant-tattoo-from-ajarn-thoy.html

1. Does Ajarn Thoy speak English?
Ajarn Thoy speaks broken English. He understands more than he can put into words so if you have something to explain or complex to say, bring some pictures and use hand gestures! He has a collection of photos of his past work so you can go through them and chose the one you want instead of trying to explain to him. I also suggest you bring your own images just in case!

2. How much does it cost?
Traditionally, its suppose to be on a donation basis. But because of the overwhelming number of customers, Ajarn Thoy does charge a fee based on the complexity, size and color of the Sak Yant. The Khao Yord that I received (photo below) cost 1000baht which is about $30 US.

3. Are the needles safe and do I have to worry about catching anything?

I am going to boldly say (after speaking to many people and doing much research) that it is quite safe. Ajarn Thoy sterilizes all the needles after using them. I even asked him to show me and he did. Furthermore, Ajarn travels abroad to do tattoos so he's as legitimate as it gets in Thailand. You may find cheaper with other lesser known local monks, but no guarantees on the cleaning the procedures.

4. Do I have to book an appointment?
No. Just call in and make sure they are open and show up. There might be a few people there and the wait can be long so be sure to show right at noon (when it opens)! Note: When you get to the temple just say "Sak Yant" or "Ajarn Thoy" to any of the monks and they will point you in the right direction. Picture of the building where the tattoo is performed to your right.

5. Does Ajarn perform tattoos on women?
Yes he does.


6. Does it hurt!?
I don't have a regular tattoo so I can't make that comparison. However I did think it stung quite a bit. How much it hurts will also depend on the spot you want it done. From what I hear, it hurts more around areas with lots of fatty tissue. So go jog!




----

Any more questions you guys have please post at the bottom or drop me an email at dennis_luu@hotmail.com

If you are in Thailand and need assistance you can always contact myself at anytime as well. Getting your very first Sak Yant is a very neat experience so I wish you guys have just as much fun as I did!

Train Hard.
-Baoy

Stay away from the giant penis. Don't ask me why there is a ribbon on it. And don't ask me what it is doing at a temple.

---------

Contacts:

Samnak Sak Ajarn Thoy-Soi On Nut 25 Wat Tong Nai

Google Maps -Click Here to View

Sukhumvit Soy On Nut 25,
Bangkok 12:00 a.m. – 18:00 p.m.
Telephone 0899963745

18 comments:

Silvio said...

Thank you very much for your directions! I'm italian, I'm in Singapore for business now and in two days I'm planning to go to BKK and get a sak yant as well, I'm gonna follow everything you wrote on this blog!

Anonymous said...

Just a quick question on the hygeine issue. Can you tell me how do they sanitize his equipments? (ie needles)

Thanks alot. Really appreciate if you could answer me.

Regards,
MT

Baoy said...

Hey, appreciate you guys visiting the blog. I believe they sterilize the needles using just alcohol. I'm not 100% but you can ask them what they use once there.

Thanks

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Baoy said...

Hey Pim,

I'm not sure you can do that. I understand where you are coming from as I was quite scared as well. You can always tell them to sanitize right in front of you if you want. Best bet is to do more research on the person that will be performing the tattoo. The ones that are more commercial and does tattoo for foreigners are probably your best bet.

Good luck!

Jennifer said...

Hi, I had another question about the hygiene. Does he use new ink with each person? Or does he reuse the ink with each person?

Anonymous said...

Nice Blog -Do you know if Ajarn Thoy is available Saturdays?

小礼の新礼 said...

Hi,
May i know how much to get Ha Teaw sak yant from Ajarn Thoy?im going over this August..

Anonymous said...

Hi
Great write up, is Ajarn thoy open Mon-sun? In his other tattoo session he wears the mask , how come he didnt this time?enraci

Ben said...

Just a heads up - went there this week and it seems his idea of a good price has increased somewhat...

A Ha Taew (which is the cheapest) is 3000 baht for a foreigner....

I politely declined.

Janet said...

When you are in Europe there is a guy that does really good Sak Yant. His website is http://www. yasamota.com. I will meet him next week.

Anonymous said...

I've gone there this winter, after waiting... 4 hours came Ajarn Thoy, I recognised him 10 years ago he was in a tattoo shop in Bangkok. At first the girls told me it was 500 bath and 4 hours later she told me it was 4000 ?!!!? (many people in the house try to get a commision on his work. Eventually I did not do the tattoo because I did not feel a good vibe (this is important for me above for a Sak Yant)
I stay anyway to look people's tattoo and he do not even change or clean the needles!
Avoid!

John said...

We JUST had the same "bait and switch" experience. For 2 small starter Sak Yant (one for each of us) she insisted on 8000 baht. This was after 2 hours taking public transport. I'm sorry but I don't BARTER in a temple. Goes against everything. AVOID IS RIGHT.

Also the joint was filty.

Unknown said...

Hi guys,
going to thailand December 25 to January 24, I plan to get sak yant in Bangkok in the beginning or the end of my trip. I m looking for traditional bamboo style with a great ajarn like Thoy, Neng or Prayot. Someone have contact information ? Obviously I don't speak thai :-/ ... I am looking for a kind of big Ha Taew on side, and a Paed Tidt or Gao Yord on back, depend on the Ajarn Feeling. I'm ok to pay between 1000 et 3000 bath per piece, but look for line style, not too spotted... Any advices ?
Thank you.
Matt

NotMyDUI said...

I would love to get a Sak Yant while I am here in Bangkok but after all of the research I've done, I can't find an Ajarn who uses a NEW needle. Neither alcohol nor flame will kill the hepatitis virus, explains why it is so easy to contract. I do study the arts and ritual magick and I know this can only help with my spiritual endeavors but I am also not going to risk a life-threatening illness to get a blessing. Just my thoughts. Does anyone know of an Ajarn who does use new needles?

Unknown said...

Did you meet him? What do you Think about him?

Unknown said...

Hi I would like to check if Arjan Troy is still doing sakyant? And whether he will be around from 28th Jan to 5th February?

Unknown said...

Hi I would like to check if Arjan Troy is still doing sakyant? And whether he will be around from 28th Jan to 5th February?